You had a pretty good report card this time. That B+ in math is great! But I know you could do better in science. What can we do to help you with that?
Spaghetti with Cheesy Tomato Cream Sauce
The Food Nanny
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 small white onion minced
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes undrained (see note)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup cream or half-and-half
- 1/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese, about 2 oz
- 20 fresh basil leavesor
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper ground
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper crushed
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti or pasta of your choice
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook and stir the garlic and onion until you smell the aroma.
Remove from the heat and add the tomatoes, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, cream, ricotta, basil, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper, if using. Cook over low heat until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
Divide the pasta among four plates and spoon the sauce over each. Serve, passing additional cheese
Note: For a smoother sauce, puree the tomatoes first in a blender for a few seconds.
Serve with a green vegetable or a salad and your favorite Italian bread.