Our Pie Crust is the BEST you will ever eat!!
Have any of you ever tried Custard Pie??!!! If you haven’t man you have been missing out.. but don’t worry we are giving you the best recipe out there! The reason this pie is the best and why we believe we can make the best pies out there is because of our crust! Vegetable shortening gives a pie crust the most flakiness, and butter provides a rich taste, so a combination of the two is the best of both worlds. We love to eat our custard pie chilled.. then the nutmeg on top makes it perfection! Enjoy!!
The Food Nanny
- 2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick chilled butter, cut in small pieces
- 4 to 6 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 4 slightly beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups milk scalded
- 1-9 inch unbaked pastry shell
- Ground Nutmeg optional
Pastry for a double-crust pie:
Custard Pie Filling:
- To make the Pie Crust:
- Stir the flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the shortening and butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with the ice water, a tablespoon at a time, and stir with a fork to moisten all the dough. Gather the dough into a ball with your hands. Divide the dough in half. Roll out the other half and set aside.
- Custard Pie Filling:
- Blend eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla. Gradually stir in scalded milk ( I temper my eggs first).
- Pour into pastry shell. Sprinkle with Nutmeg.
- Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) for 35 to 40 min or until a knife inserted comes out clean.