Valentine Heart Sugar Cookies
We’ve said it before…and it’s true… we love to use this sugar cookie recipe every chance we get!! It’s Valentine’s Day very soon…so, you need to make sure you have the ingredients to make these soft, moist, perfect cookies! We think the cream cheese frosting makes these all the better! Plus, when we saw that our local Starbucks had decorated them so cute with bright pink frosting and X & O’s…we ran home to copy. They turned out so cute!! Give them away in a cute, little box like this one…or put them on a cute plate (and keep them for yourself) for all to enjoy at home! Happy Valentine’s-xoxo
The recipe can be found under “America’s Best Sugar Cookie” on our blog.
Grandma's Sugar-Cookie Cutouts
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick butter, at room temperature
- 1 1-pound box powdered sugar about 4 cups, sifted
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 5-ounce can evaporated milk
- Food coloring optional
- In an electric mixer bowl, blend the sugar, butter, and egg. Add the lemon extract and beat for 1 minute.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt onto a square of wax paper (or mix in a bowl).
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk to the butter mixture, mixing well after each addition. Divide the dough in half, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough to 1/4 inch thick. Dip a cookie cutter into flour, cut into the dough, and place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with the other half of the dough. Scrape the dough scraps together, add flour to the rolling surface as needed, roll out again, and cut out additional cookies. Bake 7 to 10 minutes and cool on racks.
- To make the icing, combine the butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a mixer bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until blended. Add the evaporated milk 1 tablespoon at a time and continue to beat to desired spreading consistency. If desired, divide the icing into separate bowls and tint each one a different color, starting with just a drop of food coloring.
- Spread the icing on the cooled cookies.