Lately at the Food Nanny we’ve been thinking more about our sides!
When you start meal planning, a common mistake some people make is just planning out the main course and forgetting to plan what you’re going to put with it! The great thing about the Food Nanny books is with almost every recipe there are suggestions for what to serve with it right at the bottom! The guess work is done for you. One of our favorite side dishes (that we don’t do often enough) are twice-baked potatoes! They are SO good!!! They take a little more time, but not much effort……and the reward is so worth it! We think our version of them are pretty yummy!! What are you serving up for you sides?? XO
- 6 medium russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon minced green onions optional
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese divided
- salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub, dry, and cut the tips off the potatoes, to allow air to escape during baking. Set on oven rack or a baking sheet (do not wrap in aluminum foil) and bake for 1 hour. Allow to cool. Cut in half lengthwise so each half is boat-shaped. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Scrape out the insides into a medium bowl. Set the skins on a sheet pan or cookie sheet.
- Add the butter, sour cream, mayonnaise, egg, green onions, and 1 cup of the cheese. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the potato skins. (You will probably end up with more skins than mixture.) Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the potatoes. Bake about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are heated through and light brown on the top.