THREE-BEAN CHILI WITH SAUSAGE
Three-Bean Chili with Sausage
- 1 14.5-ounce tomatoes, (can diced tomatoes, undrained)
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound maple-flavored bulk sausage
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 46-ounce can tomato juice
- 1 15-ounce can black beans
- 1 15-ounce can black beans (undrained)
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans (undrained)
- 1 16-ounce can kidney beans (undrained)
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne ((optional))
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Shredded Cheddar cheese ((optional))
- Sour cream ((optional))
1. Optional step: Crush the tomatoes with their juice in a blender and set aside.
2. Brown the beef, sausage, and onion in a large pot over medium-high heat. Drain the fat. Add the vinegar and cook for 1 minute to reduce the liquid. Add the tomatoes, tomato juice, beans, chili powder, brown sugar, cayenne, salt, and paprika. Decrease the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
3. Serve in bowls and top with a sprinkle of cheese and 1 teaspoon of sour cream if desired.
Serve with Cinnamon Rolls, corn bread or biscuits and a salad. (Steve's favorite way to eat chili is with a square of Buttermilk Corn Bread in the bowl and the
chili ladled over and then topped with a sprinkling of pepper Jack or Cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.)
Can be made Meatless: Omit the meats and double the beans.
CAN DO AHEAD
This dish may be put together ahead of time. Refrigerate. Reheat and serve.