The Food Nanny Homemade Syrups
We are so excited to share with you two of our favorite syrup recipes. They are the perfect topping for pancakes, waffles, french toast, you name in!
Our maple syrup recipe is going to be your traditional syrup. It is delicious and so light. It goes particularly well over something that already has a lot of flavor.
We also can not get enough of our butter syrup. It is dreamy! It makes even the simplest waffle taste out of this world. Kids beg for this, and adults end up coming back for more too.
The key to making both of thees syrups is the butter! Quality butter makes a world of difference. For years, we just purchased various store brand butters because they were a better price. We have now learned what a huge mistake that was!
Our favorite is Land O Lakes, but we also love Kerry Gold. Yes, you will spend a little bit more money. But the upgraded taste is worth every penny. Once you start using the better quality butter you will not be able to go back!
So next time you are making breakfast for dinner (like on Wednesday nights!) make one of these syrups! We just recently made our pancakes with Kamut flour and they were unbelievable. We topped them with the butter syrup and it quickly became one of your favorite recipes ever.
So get cooking, and enjoy!
The Food Nanny Homemade Maple Syrup
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp maple flavoring
- Bring 2 1/2 cups of water to boil.
- Stir four cups of sugar into the boiling water until dissolved.
- Turn heat down to low and add the maple flavoring. Stir until mixed.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in mason jars and refrigerate for up to 2 months.
The Food Nanny Butter Syrup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the buttermilk and stir together. Add the sugar and stil. When the sugar has dissolved stir in the baking soda. (Be careful, the baking soda will make the mixture foam. Make sure you are using a large pan else it will boil over.)
- Cook over low heat stirring until it all comes together about 1 minute more. Stir in the vanilla. Turn off the heat and serve warm.
- Store in mason jars in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.