Plan ahead: Prepare meat mixture ahead of time.
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- ½ onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ green bell pepper chopped (optional)
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 medium fresh tomato diced
- 1 cup whole kernel corn frozen or canned, drained
- ¼ cup chopped black olives
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Fleur de Sel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 11/4 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Sour Cream for garnish
Tamale Cornmeal Topping:
- 1 cup instant Corn Masa Mix for Tamales
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Fleur de Sel
- 5 Tablespoons Butter melted
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- In a medium size pan over medium heat, brown the ground beef. Add the onions, garlic and green pepper if using, stir and cook until soft.
- Add the tomato sauce, fresh tomato, corn, black olives, chili powder, cumin and salt. Add 1 1/4 cups beef broth. Stir. Turn the heat down to low and simmer about 5 - 10 min. Add in the cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour into a buttered 8x8 in. baking dish.
Prepare the topping
- Stir together the instant Corn Masa, chicken broth, baking powder, salt, and melted butter.
- Spread evenly on top of casserole. Bake uncovered at 350 about 30 minutes.
- Pass the sour cream.
Serve with: Chips and salsa or Guacamole. Fruit Salsas and Chips page 129, Homemade Flour Tortillas page 121. Variations: May double the recipe. The topping makes this casserole for me! This meal is easy and is a nice change from regular Mexican food. This one is yummy!! Double the recipe and serve it to company with my Pinã Coladas.