These are completely make from scratch even the amazing syrup!
Pancakes are comfort food for me. Often after I used to film a show late into the evening I would go out for pancakes. That was all I could think about eating, especially when I am tired. I love these pancakes. I love this syrup on almost any pancake I make. You will too. Homemade syrup is special. You will be surprised how much kids loves these too! XOXO
SOUR CREAM PANCAKES WITH ORANGE BUTTERMILK SYRUP
Makes 6 large or 12 small size pancakes Time:20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- Oil for frying
- Orange Buttermilk Syrup:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Juice of one large orange
- In a medium size bowl stir the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together.
- In another bowl whisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla and orange zest if using. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined.
- Turn the griddle up to 360 degrees and wipe it with a little canola oil. I like to brush on a little oil and then go over it with a paper towel so there is only a slight film of oil to prevent the pancakes from sticking. Bake pancakes on the hot griddle until you see the tiny bubbles form and break. Turn over and bake until golden brown. Serve immediately with Orange Buttermilk Syrup.
- Prepare Orange Buttermilk Syrup:
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat bring the butter, buttermilk, sugar and corn syrup to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the baking soda and vanilla. The syrup will foam up pretty high. Whip until mixed together. Let it sit a minute while the foam goes down.
- Add the juice of one large orange. Stir until combines. Serve warm over pancakes.
- Serve with: Bacon
- Variations: Omit the Orange Zest in the pancakes and the orange juice in the syrup. Use the syrup over any pancake recipe. Add bananas to the sour cream pancakes and serve with plain buttermilk syrup.