Shepherd’s Pie with Chicken
COMFORT FOOD NIGHT
This long-time familiar dish to all cooks is making a come back here in the U.S. I like it best made with chicken. Good food always comes around again. I love this recipe of mine! xo
SHEPHERD’S PIE WITH CHICKEN
Plan Ahead: Prepare the chicken. Use left-over mashed or baked potatoes.
- 6 medium Russet potatoes about 2 pounds
- ½ stick butter ¼ cup
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons minced green
- onions optional
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup cheddar cheese; or
- pepper jack cheese
- 3 boneless/skinless chicken
- breasts cut into small pieces
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large carrot peeled and
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Chopped parsley to taste
- 1 Tablespoon fresh
- tarragon or rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 pieces of sandwich bread
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1 inch squares. In a medium size sauce
- pan fill the pan with enough water to just cover the potatoes and bring
- to a boil over medium high heat. Add salt and pepper. Turn the heat
- down and boil until tender.
- Drain the potatoes. Add the butter, sour cream, mayonnaise, green onions
- and milk. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in shredded cheddar
- cheese. Season with coarse salt and ground black pepper.
- Wipe off the chicken breasts with wet paper towels. Cut the chicken into
- 2 inch pieces. In a medium size saucepan over low heat, fry onion in
- olive oil until almost caramelized, stirring regularly, then add the chicken.
- Season generously with coarse salt, fresh ground black pepper and
- Add 1 additional Tablespoon olive oil and fry the chicken and the carrot
- together for 3 to 4 min.
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 Tablespoons butter and add 2 Tablespoons
- flour. Stir until bubbly. Add chicken broth. Whisk together and bring to a
- boil until thickened. Stir in the peas. Stir this sauce into the chicken and
- Add chopped parsley, rosemary or tarragon and paprika. Season to taste
- with coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Butter a 9x13 in. baking dish. Put a layer of chicken and veggies on the
- bottom of the pan. Add a layer of mashed potato on the top. Repeat.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the butter and spread over the top of the
- casserole. Dot with a few pieces of extra butter. Bake at 400° for 25 min.
Serve with: Green & yellow zucchini; Swiss chard; spinach; 2 Basic Salads page 258. Variations: May use ground lamb or hamburger - make sure to drain off the grease from the lamb or hamburger. Use beef broth in place of chicken broth. Use baked potatoes, peel and mash. You can freeze leftover mashed potatoes for up to 2 weeks. Make a double batch and freeze half. Add 1 Teaspoon dried rosemary or tarragon.