Quiche Lorraine is a Savory pie that originated in France. (We love all things French!!) They are the masters of food and this quiche is no exception. One bite will transport you to a sidewalk-cafe in Paris...!!! Make it for dinner, breakfast, or a special party~ anytime you feel like making something seriously delicious and IMPRESSIVE.
Bakes @ 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Serve warm or cold.
Stands alone or you can serve with our Spinach Salad or Food Nanny Hot Crescent Rolls.
- Single Crust Pie:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp shortening
- 2 Tablespoons chilled butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup ice-cold water
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 small onion (minced)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 pound cheddar cheese (grated)
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- Pie Crust:
- Stir the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Cut in the shortening and butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with ice water, 3 Tablespoons at a time and stir with a fork to moisten the dough.
- Gather the dough into a ball with your hands. Roll out the dough 1/8 inch thick on a lightly floured surface and fit it into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim bottom crust even with rim of the pie plate. (This is the point where you would put the prepared filling into the pie shell.)
- In a medium sized skillet on medium heat saute the bacon, onion and green pepper until the vegetables are soft and the bacon is cooked. Drain off the fat. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat bring the milk almost to a boil. Turn the heat off and let the milk sit for about 2 min. Add the grated cheese. Stir and let it melt into the milk.
- Add the beaten eggs, salt, ground black pepper and Worcestershire into the milk mixture. Stir until blended.
- Spoon the bacon and vegetables into the bottom of the unbaked piecrust. Pour the cheese mixture over.
- Carefully place the pie pan in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 40 min.