Minestrone Lovers Soup
Minestrone Lover's Soup
I love Minestrone Soup especially when it is chilly outside. It is so satisfying and so healthy for you! Thank you, Sharee, our dear friend for over 30 years.
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- ½ cup carrots (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 14.5 oz. can (diced tomatoes with basil garlic and oregano)
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- ¾ cup cabbage (shredded)
- ⅓ cup zucchini (chopped (zucchini optional))
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 15 oz. can cannelloni beans
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup elbow macaroni
- ½ cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Sauté until the onions are soft.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, cabbage, zucchini, chicken broth, tomato paste, cannellini beans, parsley and salt. Stir. Let this come to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat slightly to allow soup to simmer for 40 min. or until vegetables are just tender.
- Add pasta and simmer for 11 min. longer until the pasta is al dente but not too soft.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top.
Serve with: Everyday Artisan Bread page 236 or Artisan Beer Bread on page 247. Variations: Pressure cook your soup in 10 min. Then stir in the already cooked pasta. Or, crock pot: cook on low for 8 hours adding in the macaroni in the beginning.