This soup is tasty and will satisfy you lasagna lovers out there in half the time. Kids love to help and feel like they are contributing in the kitchen. Let’s GET THEM INVOLVED EARLY at being little chefs!! This is a great recipe for them to help with. Kids love to serve themselves and stir in the cheese and watch it melt into their bowl. This also cools the soup just enough to not burn their mouths. I think your family will enjoy this recipe! XOXOXO
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 1/2 mild Italian sausage links about 3/4 pound, casings removed
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 14.5- ounce cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 oz. rotini or fusilli pasta
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 8 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 cups Mozzarella grated
- Coarse salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add onion and garlic, sautéing until onion is soft. Add sausage and ground beef, breaking the meat into small pieces as you stir. Cook until brown. Pour off extra grease. Add oregano, pepper flakes, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, chicken broth and bay leaves. Stir, and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 20 min.
- Add the pasta. Cook until pasta is tender, about 12 min. Add basil. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl mix the ricotta, Parmesan, and Mozzarella together. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Place 2 tablespoons chees mixture on top of each bowl of soup.