HOMEMADE FLOUR TORTILLAS
We love Mexican Food. We really love good Mexican Food served with fresh homemade tortillas! One of our favorite restaurants is Cafe Rio. They make their tortillas right in front of you. You can watch them roll out the dough into rounds and bake them off on a hot griddle. They always smell so good!! We bet you’ve never thought about doing that at home. Well, you should! It really is crazy how easy they are to make. We pretty much don’t know anyone that makes homemade tortillas…except for our mom, the Food Nanny. She is brave and she’s always up for trying new things in the kitchen. She has taught us how to make these insanely easy and delicious (and impressive) flour tortillas. We promise…follow the directions below…and you won’t even believe it! It’s really cool to know that with just a few ingredients that you have in your pantry RIGHT NOW, you can make these tortillas.
HOMEMADE FLOUR TORTILLAS
- 1 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening may use canola oil
- 1/2 cup very hot water
- In a medium size mixing bowl add then flour, salt and baking powder. Stir with a whisk to combine the dry ingredients.
- Add the shortening or oil and work into the flour with a fork or pastry cutter until the crumbs are the size of peas. (this is like making pie crust.) add hot water and stir with a fork to combine.
- Pour this mixture out on a lightly floured board or your counter and knead with your hands for 4 minutes to form smooth dough. Place the dough back in the bowl and cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let rest 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal balls and roll between the palms of your hands until the ball is as smooth as possible.
- Cut 2 pieces of plastic from a grocery bag slightly larger than 7 inches. (Plastic wrap will not work.) Place the dough in between them and roll out each ball of dough with a rolling pin to form a thin circle about 7 inches across. Save plastic for future use or, simply place tortilla in a tortilla press (at most kitchen stores) Set the dough between 2 pieces of plastic and press down with the tortilla press.
- Pre-heat a dry griddle over medium high heat or 350 degrees on the griddle, cast iron or pancake (preferably non-stick) Place the tortilla in the hot pan or on the griddle and cook for 1 minute or until small air bubbles appear. Flip over and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- During the 3rd minute the tortilla will usually puff up and then deflate. Small brown spots will form on the surface. Remove to a plate and cool. Once finished, the tortillas are ready to eat! They can be frozen for future use too.