Holland’s Apple Tarte
This is a Hygge dessert if we ever tasted one! Every bite takes me right back to Amsterdam.
While my parents were living in Europe, I was able to visit and enjoy some of the most incredible food! Some of our followers told me that we had to eat this famous pie and it did not disappoint!
Thanks to one of our followers Grandma, we were able to recreate this unbelievable dessert! Adapting it to Kamut flour made it even better!
We like to serve this with whip cream or vanilla ice cream. And you can choose if you want it cold or right out of the oven. You really can’t go wrong!
If you don’t have a spring form pan, don’t worry! You can even make this in a 9×13 dish. It will still be fabulous!
Holland's Apple Tarte
- 1 cup butter chilled
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 1/4 cups White Kamut flour
- 8 apples( we use honey crisp) peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp White Kamut flour
- 1/8 tsp Fleur de sel salt
- 3/4 cup golden raisins optional
- In a large bowl, cream together cold butter (cut into chunks) and sugar using a hand-held or electric mixer. Beat in egg and lemon extract. Add flour. Mix well. Dough will be very soft. Cover and place in refrigerator while preparing filling (about 20 minutes).
- Prepare the filling. Peel and thinly slice apples. Place in a large bowl. Add sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, salt, and flour. Mix well. (If using raisins, place in a strainer and wash with hot water, then add to the apple mixture.) Set aside and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Remove dough from refrigerator. Use 3/4 of dough for the bottom and up the sides of the spring form pan. Use remaining dough for the top. Put a little flour down on surface and roll dough into a round. Lay dough inside the pan and spoon on the filling. Make sure filling is level. Roll out remaining dough and place on top of the apple filling. Make sure dough completely covers the apples to the edges.
- Place 9 inch spring form pan on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Place baking sheet and Apple Tarte in oven. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour 20 minutes or until top crust is golden.
- Remove pan and set on top of surface. Cut into 8 pieces and serve warm right out of the pan or let it cool. When cool, remove round top of the pan, place onto a cake platter, cut and serve. Serve with whip cream or vanilla ice cream, warm or at room temperature.
The Food Nannies