Delicious Oeuf a la Coque (Dippy Eggs)
I tried this for the first time in a little cafe called Le Petit Cler. Just the cutest little place on an old cobblestone street which is in the heart of the neighborhood of Rue Cler, Paris. Have we ever mentioned before how much we love all things French?
These little gems are best at 6 minutes for dipping. If you want the egg to be fully set but with a gooey yolk, go for 8 minutes. If you cook it for 10 minutes, it will be slightly soft in the middle. Take your pick!
I would recommend 6-8 minutes for the most authentic experience. That is how they are served in Paris! I like to bring my water to a full boil, and then drop the room temperature eggs carefully in, 2-3 at a time.
Do all of this in a small saucepan with the water covering the eggs by about an inch. I then turn the heat down to a medium boil and turn the timer on immediately. Viola!
Have your bread toasted and sliced into thin stripes. We love to use either our French Baguettes or regular Kamut bread. And dip away! So delicious!
Oeuf a la Coque (Dippy Eggs)
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 3 slices bread toasted
- 1 pinch Fleur de Sel Salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a full boil.
- Drop the room temperature eggs carefully into the water, covering the eggs by about an inch.
- Turn the heat down to a medium boil and turn the timer on to 6-8 minutes immediately.
- As soon as the timer goes off, take the eggs out. Run it quickly under warm water, sit it in an egg holder, cut the top off, and add salt and pepper
- While the eggs are cooking, cut your bread and toast it. Once it is done, slice it into small strips.
- Start dipping and enjoy!
This fun egg experience is a ritual in many homes here and abroad. It is so fun! Not to mention, it is also nutritional. You can’t go wrong with a filling breakfast your whole family will love.
It is a great thing to serve to guests, grandkids, you name it! We will be making this for Easter breakfast and think you should too. Make Dippy Eggs a new tradition in your home this year!