When the kids were growing up, I always served my chili with hot homemade cinnamon rolls or corn bread. We still love this combo. You cannot beat the wonderful smells that will permeate your kitchen as you simmer this chili! That's a promise. Create a home where there is love and food...Do it for yourself and the other people who live with you. We are starting to crave this right now! Kids will be starting school in a few days...and it's time for our one pot meals to take center stage! See you at dinner! xoxo
CHILI WITH SAUSAGE
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound maple-flavored bulk sausage
- 1/4 medium onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 46 ounce can tomato juice
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, undrained
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 16 ounce can kidney beans, undrained
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Optional step: Crush the tomatoes with their juice in a blender and set aside.
- Brown the beef, sausage, and onion in a large pot over medium-high heat. Drain the fat. Add the vinegar and cook for 1 minute to reduce the liquid. Add the tomatoes, tomato juice, beans, chili powder, brown sugar, cayenne, salt, and paprika. Decrease the heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve in bowls and top with a sprinkle of cheese and 1 teaspoon of sour cream if desired.
Serve with Cinnamon Rolls, corn bread, or biscuits and a salad. My husband's favorite way to eat chili is with a big piece of Buttermilk corn bread in the bottom of the bowl and the chili ladled over and then topped with a bit of pepper jack cheese and a dollop of sour cream. Try it!
Can be made MEATLESS: Omit the meats and double the beans.