Sometimes you just need an easy meal you know your kids will eat!
We learned how to make these Taquitos from Lucy, a great cook from Mexico. We have never tasted better Mexican Food than hers! She had "no recipes". These quick Taquitos are some of our favorites!! The Caso Fresco Cheese MAKES these!!! You're gonna love them!!!
- 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 stick celery (cut in half)
- 1/4 yellow onion (whole)
- 2 cloves garlic (whole)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 yellow onion (minced)
- 1/2 green pepper (minced)
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes (diced)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (minced)
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- Coarse salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 16 small corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Everyday Salsa (page 127 rescues dinner again)
- Sour Cream
- Caso Fresco Cheese
- Place the chicken breasts in a medium size saucepan. make sure the chicken is covered with an inch of water. Add the celery stick, onion, whole garlic cloves and chicken bouillon.
- Bring to a boil; turn the heat down to low, making sure the water is at a steady, low boil. Boil for 10 min. Turn off the heat, cover and let sit and steam for 10 min.
- Take the chicken out, shred with 2 forks or pull it apart with your hands. Set aside. Save the broth.
- In another pan, add olive oil and butter. Add the onion, green pepper, tomatoes and garlic. Sauté until the onion and green pepper are soft.
- Add the shredded chicken and 1/3 cup chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until most of the broth has evaporated.
- Warm 8 tortillas (stacked) at a time in the microwave for 30 seconds and then put them in a plastic bag for 5 min.
- Lay the tortillas, one at a time, on a baking sheet. Put 1-2 tablespoon chicken mixture on each tortilla. Roll up as tight as you can. Insert took pick if you can't get the tortilla to stay closed.
- Heat a 10 inch skillet over medium heat on top of the stove. Add canola oil about 1/4 the way up the pan. Fry the Taquitos, a few at a time, in the oil turning them as they begin to brown.
- When cooked and crisp, lay the Taquitos on paper towels to drain off the excess oil.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with Caso Fresco cheese, salsa and sour cream.