Thanks to Aunt Sue, we have been making these tacos for over 30 years. This is an original Mexican recipe and is one of our family favorites. You may skip frying the tortillas and simply make soft tacos with heated tortillas.
Serve with Mexican Rice with Fresh Tomatoes (p. 123) and refried beans with a little shredded cheese on top.
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- pepper Jack cheese or combination
- Sour cream
- Fresh spinach thinly sliced
- Fresh Salsa or Tabasco Sauce p. 125
- Lime wedges
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Canola oil for frying
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, bite size pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & Pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- Heat the butter and 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and onions and cook and stir until the onions are soft and the chicken is tender and no longer pink. Add the garlic and cook about 1 minute more. Decrease the heat to low and stir in the tomato and cilantro. Add water (or chicken broth) if the mixture seems too dry. Season generously with salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Continue cooking about 2 minutes. Cover and turn off the heat. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Heat 3/4 cup of canola oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Fry one tortilla: With tongs turn it once to cook both sides, then quickly fold halfway over and cook for a few more seconds to make the taco shape. Drain on paper towels. Place the tortilla in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, putting each one into the oven to keep warm. (If the taco shells cool, they lose their crispness and become tough and chewy.) For soft tacos, simply heat the tortillas one at a time in a dry skillet over high heat for a few seconds on each side. (Or wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and heat in the oven at 275 degrees for 20 minutes.)
- To serve, place a small amount of the chicken mixture in each taco shell. Put the filled tacos on a platter and serve. Pass the cheese, sour cream, spinach, salsa and lime.