We will never forget the Abernathy family who shared this recipe with us. She didn't measure anything but could tell me how her dear friend from India would come over and make this quick dinner. We perfected this recipe for our family and know it will become one of your favorites. It is wonderful.
Set the table tonight and gather everyone around the dinner table! It's one of the most important things you can do all day!! Save a plate for those that weren't able to join you for dinner. :-) When we were growing up, we were all busy with after-school activities...but we always knew food was at home waiting for us!
Chicken Curry in 30 Minutes
- Place the following ingredients in a saucepan or rice cooker
- 1 cup Jasmine or Basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/4 cups water
- Chicken Curry:
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 14 oz. can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 can chickpeas or garbanzo beans (drained)
- 1/4 bunch fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh jalapeño pepper (minced, seeds removed or leave seeds in for more spice)
- Cut most of the chicken off the bone, into bite size pieces, leaving some skin on a couple of pieces.
- Place the chicken pieces and bones in a large pot on top of the stove, Turn the heat to high. Brown meat well, turning often.
- When meat is brown, turn heat down to medium, add onions and cook for 3 min. Add fresh garlic, ginger, turmeric and coriander. Stir for another couple minutes to heat through.
- Add coconut milk, chicken stock and drained chickpeas. Turn heat down to simmer, cover and cook 8 to 10 min. Remove from heat.
- Remove the chicken pieces and bones. Let rest a minute to cool, then tear chicken off the bones and add to the pan. Discard all bones. Remove any chicken skin that is floating on top and discard.
- Add the cilantro, curry powder and fresh jalapeño. Heat again. Check seasoning. Adjust curry and jalapeño. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over cooked rice.