Cacio E Pepe- A Quick Mac & Cheese
This is a quick and simple meal for lunch or dinner. You would never guess how easy it is based on how delicious it tastes! Its the perfect meal for one, or even for the whole family.
Both adults and kids love this dish! It reminds me of a Spaghetti Carbonara, but with fewer ingredients.
In Italy, this is a starter dish for their meal. But here in the US, this serves as the main course. You can serve it along side side, chicken, or beef if you would like. Make sure to provide plenty of green veggies, such as artichokes, brussel sprouts, or broccoli. We also love to serve a warm bread on the side.
Plan to make this on your busiest weeknight. You won’t believe how quickly and easily it comes together. The whole family will love it!
The Food Nannies!
Cacio E Pepe
- 1 1/2 tsp french salt
- 6-8 oz spaghetti fresh or dried
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 cup Parmesan or Grana Padano Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1/2 cup Romano cheese finely grated
- 1/2 lemon, zest only optional
- Bring 3-4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Stir in the salt. Add spaghetti. Cook until tender, about 2 minutes for fresh or 10 minutes for dried. Remove pasta with tongs into a bowl. Set aside. Reserve pasta water.
- In a large shallow frying pan over low heat, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter and stir together with black pepper. It will take about a minute. Add pasta water, turn the heat down, and simmer. Add cooked pasta and remaining butter. Add Parmesan cheese, stirring and tossing with tongs until the cheese is melted.
- Turn the heat off and add Romano cheese and lemon zest if using, turning with tongs. Stir in more pasta water if the sauce is too dry. Serve immediately.