Authentic Margherita Pizza
When we think of authentic Italian pizza, this is what we think of! It is what I make when I am craving a little piece of Italy.
Margherita means red sauce, green basil, and white cheese. Think of the Italian flag! So much fun.
In Italy, the cheese on top is sliced rather than shredded. It is typically fresh mozzarella cheese. One of the best things about this pizza is all the fresh ingredients. The flavors are simple and absolutely delicious.
This pizza is a little bit of a labor of love. But don’t be intimidated by the peeled tomatoes! If it seems like too much, use some delicious canned tomatoes. We even do that sometimes.
But if you are peeling your tomatoes, we have a simple way for you. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. On the bottom of each tomato, cut a shallow X with a paring knife. Do not cut the flesh! With a large slotted spoon, drop each tomato in the boiling water. When the skin begins to curl back at the X, after 15-30 seconds, remove the tomatoes and place them in ice water to stop the cooking. Then simply peel off the skin.
This makes one 16 inch pizza or 2 12-inch pizzas. We prefer a nice thin crust, especially for Margherita.
On this recipe, we use our basic pizza dough. The tuscan sun dough is out of this world, but it does take more time. The basic dough is ridiculously fast and easy! It is a matter of minutes to get this dough ready.
This is a recipe that only costs a couple of dollars. We love pizza night, but it can get expensive when going out! When you make it at home, it can be simple, cheap, and delicious.
We love this pizza! Add it to your menu for your next pizza night. It may take a little time, but you will not regret it! You cannot beat the flavor of a homemade authentic margherita pizza. Enjoy!
Authentic Margherita Pizza
Basic Pizza Dough
- 2 pounds very ripe Roma or hot-house tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp freshly grated imported Parmigiano-Reggiano optional
- Course salt and ground pepper
- 14 small fresh basil leaves or 7 large torn into pieces
- Oil the pizza pan(s) and set aside.
- Prepare the pizza dough, roll it out, and place it in the prepared pan(s).
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel and dice the tomatoes, discarding the seeds, and combine with the salt and 1/4 cup oil in a bowl. Spread over the crust.
- Bake 15-20 minutes on the lowest oven rack. Remove pizza from the oven and arrange the mozzarella and the Parmesan, if using. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle on additional olive oil. Return to oven till bubbly, 5-10 minutes. Top with basil and serve immediately.